Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Myspace track reviews

…Because really, I’m too lazy to go outside. Plus I noticed (from pitchfork, yeah) that reviewing one song is easier than a whole CD....

I’ve got an angle though. These tracks are (more or less) Myspace exclusives, which makes them topical. Also, I’ve always wanted an excuse to write about Mindless Self Indulgence and AFI…

Mindless Self Indulgence – Bomb This Track

Maybe, someday, in one of those twisted Marvel comics esq. alternate futures, Jimmy Urine will get the credit he deserves – as an industrial/metali-pop composer on par, if not superior to, Trent Reznor…at the very least, Urine’s stylistic versatility could have it’s carnal way with Reznor’s tired dog ‘n pony show…Reznor’s mom stole his Skinny Puppy LPs. Urine’s hot step mom stole his Skinny Puppy LPs, and then gave them back after he had his carnal way with her and the dude she was cheating on his dad with.

MSI made this song available for a week when their friend list hit 10,000 strong. It’s a novelty/faux-club song, but it's supposedly vanishing in a few days, so why not? I actually really want to hear the Black Eyed Peas cover it. I could even hear it coming out of someone like Destiny’s Child (or “cough” Missy Eliot) right up utill Urine belts out hardcore style shouting. Whole lotta effects get tossed ontop of each other during the bridge. Sounds arbitrary, but I find the chaos pleasant, if not soothing. It’s probably just going to annoy anyone unaccustomed to that sort of thing. However, those of us good and familiar with MSI (all 10,000 of us) are very accustomed to that sort of thing.

AFI – Rabbits are Roadkill on Rt. 37

Not technically a Myspace web exclusive. It’s on the Myspace records comp, but I’m presuming no one will buy that. Or ah…maybe “hoping” is a better word…

Anyway, I take a fair amount of flank for the All Hallows EP tattoo on my arm, and rightfully so. As if I couldn’t have foreseen AFI skyrocketing to multi-national conglamorama. Corporate sellouts. I should stop going to their shows and buying all their records….Someday.

Goths love to dance, (See – The Faint, the last band I reviewed, and the 80es), particularly the type of Goths who post lots of pictures of themselves online. So it’s appropriate this song ended up on the myspace comp. “Rabbits” is no “Totalimortal,” but it is a catchy, peppy little tune about self loathing. We’re hearing AFI offering up a sacrifice to the pagan god of New Wave, along the lines of The Cure or New Order. They might be hitching up to the insidious post-punk revival, but maybe they were planning to start sounding like this before anyone cared about The Killers. I feel unfit to judge. Still, I play the song.

1 Comments:

Blogger Barry Thompson said...

Yeah. Usually I do write that whole page, so thanks. Those kids actually made my week. I was walking around all tired, thinking - "Aw...I don't want to bother people on the street anymore. These exit polls are trite filler, just like my online journalism blog..." And then I went to to the Penguin, and everybody was all, "Exit Polls?! Yes! I love those!" And I said to myself, "Exits polls aren't filler. They bring joy to the community, just like Tom Cruise."

Your friends ('specially Scott, who seemed like a big exit fan) made me feel like Tom Cruise...only, not in a creepy way.

and by the way, your blog was where I got the idea to do the Penguin. Small world/neighborhood.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home